Our front entry way is the oddest shape. Perhaps it is an "L" shape?
Whatever shape it is, it is a space that keeps evolving over time as we live in it and realize what we need to add to make our lives functional.
We came to the conclusion that we needed better storage and so I happily began my hunt for a piece of furniture to redo.
I didn't have to look very long, my local Re Store came to the rescue again, and in fact had a few old beauties to choose from.
I wanted something that was taller, had at least 5 drawers, to accommodate each family member, and one that wouldn't compete too much with the existing entry way dresser/ console we already had in the space.
I loved the straight lines of this particular piece, the heavy oak construction of the drawers and the simple black metal pulls.
The casters on the bottom of it made me happy too of course. ;)
I didn't waste much time taking the dresser apart and finding a spot in the house where I could strip the dresser down and prep it for its paint job.
The weather here this Spring has been awful. Snow until the end of April! So, to save myself from working in a cold garage and extending my paint drying time, I set up shop in our work-in-progress lower level.
I laid out old pieces of carpet and got to work immediately.
I took off the hardware and sanded and sanded until the old finish on the drawers had all but disappeared.
I love the immediate satisfaction that comes with sanding -- that wood grain!!
The sanding didn't take too long either, the better part of an afternoon really.
Unfortunately I didn't plan ahead and think about the extra work I was creating for myself by sanding INDOORS.
The finish came off relatively easy, but I spent the next two days cleaning up the sanding residue off of
every square inch of our basement.
Note to self: DO NOT sand furniture in the house again.
I found some matte black paint from the same place I got this little beauty.
My city's Re Store recycles paint by selling in at a lower rate.
I love the idea of recycling and reusing so I searched through their selection until I found the perfect paint for my dresser makeover.
I painted the dresser with two coats of paint and let it dry for the day. Then I brought the finished piece into its new home.
I reattached the hardware and stood back to take in the all black dresser.
I immediately knew something wasn't quite right.
This dresser had to compete with the original dresser that has lived in out entry way for a long time.
I knew they needed to match in color since they weren't similar in style and shape.
I also wanted to tie in our little entry way hooks as well.
You can visit HERE to see our original entry way overhaul.
So with the idea of combining all areas of our odd shaped entry way, my brain started turning and spinning with ideas.
I considered stenciling some numbers on to the drawers, since I am in love with numbering anything. ;)
And THEN I remembered I had picked up some wooden numbers at a craft sale over a year ago and had packed them away for a future project.
I hunted them down and painted over the white finish I had given them at one point.
As soon as my hubby came home from work, I did what any loving wife would do and I made it a point to compliment him for a good five minutes straight.
This of course is before I asked him, ever so sweetly, to attach my letters (in his meticulous style) with his trusted nail gun to my newly finished dresser.
Compliments in this house go a lonnnng way. ;)
Like any good hubby would, he immediately complied.
We did have a few cracks in the numbers and so I caulked them, sanded them slightly and touched up the turquoise paint where needed.
I am loving the fact that each of us now have our own drawers to store our essentials in.
The kids picked which number they wanted and they love being responsible for the cleanliness of their drawers.
Our three year old likes tracing the numbers with her finger too, I swear she will be the smartest kid in her class by next year!
I had so much fun shopping our house and displaying some items on top of our new dresser.
An old frame got a coat of turquoise to tie in the newly painted numbers.
It is layered over an Ikea chalkboard which has allowed us a quick spot to write down reminders or to leave a quick love note.
A little frame holds some beautiful encouragement, while bringing in some texture and some light tones.
A girlfriend knows that I love owls and so she bought me this little dish that holds coins and lose items the kids fill their pockets with.
A green tray brings some colour and protection to the top of the dresser, and refers back to the existing dresser which has a matching green tray. (Shhhh, they are actually not trays at all, but the old school style oven burner covers, just used upside down and in a new fashion! I bet you will be scouring your thrift store for these fun finds! I have seen so many in great colours that make the best trays.)
Ultimately, we are so happy with the final result of this little dresser redo.
It has turned out to be the perfect combination of fun and functional.
And because I love a good before and after.
This dresser redo cost $50.00 and the end result is priceless for our family.
It has given us so much more storage and has encouraged our family to stay organized.
This one, was a quick redo, and I think it is becoming one of my favorites. :)